While arranging a workshop on LaTeX what you need to do?
1) Install LaTeX : There are many flavours of LaTeX. TeXlive is one of the best LaTeX flavour. One can download it from TUG site. https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html
2) Install IDE for LaTeX: Some of the famous IDE are Kile on linux, TeXmaker on Linux, and other O.S.
TeXworks is one of the best IDE I have seen as you can view the output side by your code. TeX works is good for beginners to advance level.
In case every thing else fails ShareLaTeX is online option for editing and compiling LaTeX documents.
3) Please make sure that you have install beamer class as well as IEEEtran class.
- beamer is useful for preparation of presentations.
- IEEEtran is for research paper writing as per the IEEE standards.
4) Please check internet for any problem of installation, compilation, documentation etc. There are many many sites who provides support, there are many mailing list for latex support.
5) Make sure that LCD projector, Screen and sound system (if required) is ready in the lab.
In month of June, 2012, I went to Jalgao, Maharashtra, India for short term teachers program (STTP) to speak on Scilab (scilab.org) and SAGE.
Installation of Scilab is easy and it was installed correctly so we did not had any problem for that session. Some of the participants were did very well. Scilab is basically for numerical computations and many toolboxes are available in scilab. Ideal for Engineering students.
At the time of SAGE, found that on many machines either it was not installed completely or taking lot of time to get open as installed on virtual box.
I wanted to start the session. I checked on online sagemath.org site. Since college had good internet speed, we started to work on online sage.
Around 40 participants worked at a time and we had the session on SAGE with out problem for 2 hours. Thanks to SAGE online service. http://www.sagenb.org/